Fitting in Runs Around Vacations and Busy Summer Schedules

vacation_beach

WAYS STAY ON TRACK THIS SUMMER:

Plan Ahead

Your long weekend runs – and even your shorter mid-week runs – can be tough to fit into a busy schedule. However, planning ahead can make a world of difference and can reduce the stress associated with scheduling your runs. After all, this should be a fun and positive experience! If your children have a baseball or soccer game and your partner or a friend can get your children there, plan on running to the game to watch instead of driving. Map out the route ahead of time and even plan for your partner to have a healthy snack and sports drink ready for you at the game. Do you have a BBQ or birthday party in the early afternoon? Plan ahead to get your run in in the wee hours of the morning and build in some time for a shower and a post-run meal.

Going on vacation? Planning ahead can ensure you still get all of your scheduled runs and cross training in despite being away from home. Depending on the destination, it may be possible to find running routes using sites like Map My Run or by asking your hotel if there are running paths in the area. Be sure to pack some running clothes and your running shoes, and, if needed, use your hotel’s workout room to get in a run or cross training session.

Run Early

Becoming a morning runner can really help when it seems like there are a million things to do. Here are some tips for becoming an early rising runner:

  • Research your route: Research popular running routes to find safe, fun routes that are good for morning runners and that may be different from your usual routes that you have memorized.
  • Prep at night: Plan what you will eat, bring, and wear the night before your run so that you do not use lack of preparation as an excuse to hit the snooze button! Set out your oatmeal packet, lay out your running outfit, and ensure your workout playlist is downloaded and your phone is fully charged.
  • Start small: Ease your way into a new routine slowly in order to ensure you do not fall back into procrastinating (and therefore sometimes skipping workouts). Try to wake up early on the days you have a shorter run in your training program so that the morning habit seems more manageable until you become accustomed to morning running.
  • End at the coffee shop: There’s nothing like a fun incentive to get yourself up and out of bed. Pick a route that goes by your favorite cafe so you can occasionally pick up a post-run treat. Just make sure your breakfast doesn’t undo all your early-morning efforts by avoiding high-calorie blended coffee drinks and pastries.

Adjust Your Program

Going on a long trip overseas, moving to a new home, welcoming a new baby, or experiencing an unexpected death in the family may be good reasons to drastically adjust your training program with Coach Seth’s help. Please contact Coach Seth as soon as you know you will need to make adjustments to your program to ensure that you do not risk injury after having to take a few weeks off.

If you are going on a shorter trip or just have a few weeks of extra crazy obligations, it still may be worth contacting Coach Seth to rearrange some of the weeks of your program to account for an extra busy schedule and to reduce the risk of injuries.

Get Your Family and Friends to Support You

Enlist your partner, spouse, parents, children, friends, and family as your support team. If those closest to you are on board with your training despite your other obligations, it will be much easier to convince yourself to go on that long run and stay on track. Be sure they understand why you want to run the marathon and that it is something very important to you. This will make it easier for them to get on board with your commitment to training.

Eat Balanced Meals and Stay Hydrated

This one can be very hard especially when on vacation (or during very busy times in your life), but go with the 80/20 rule to ensure you enjoy your vacation without sabotaging your training and all of the progress you have made thus far: eat and drink as healthily as you can 80% of the time and splurge a bit the other 20% of the time.

Follow the same rule for family parties, a friend’s BBQ, or when at a child’s sporting event. Do all you can to plan ahead for what you will eat and drink, so that you aren’t tempted to eat a plate full of chips and dip or a hot dog at a concession stand instead of a healthy, balanced meal. Above all, stay hydrated by having a full bottle of water in your hand at all times!

Coach Kopf